Index of letters...

Spanish text: history of city, churches.

 BARRIO DE S. LORENZO

ST LAURENCE QUARTER

·       Murallas del Marrubial

·       Marrubial City Walls

·       Parroquia de S. Lorenzo

·       St Laurence Parish church

·       Iglesia del Juramento de S. Rafael

·       The Church of the Oath of St Raphael

·       Hospital de Jesús Nazareno

·       Jesus of Nazareth Hospital

·       Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Gracia

·       Our Lady of Grace  Parish Church

Antiguo arrabal musulmán de al-muguira, el barrio de S. Lorenzo fue fundado tras la conquista cristiana (1236) en el entorno de almunias y un arroyo que discurría hasta el Barrio de la Magdalena. Tenía como límite parte del recinto fortificado del casco histórico oriental que ha conservando un lienzo de casi cuatrocientos metros de longitud. Conocido por murallas del Marrubial, el tramo que rodea la ronda homónima se fecha en época almorávide ( siglo XII).

In the once ancient Muslim quarter called al-muguira, the St Laurence quarter was founded after the Christian reconquest of 1236 around some farms and a stream flowing towards the Magdalene quarter. One of its boundaries was part of the fortified west historical city center, of which a 400 metre long wall has been preserved. The section bordering the ringroad, known as Marrubial walls, dates back to the Almoravid period (12th century).

La parroquia de S. Lorenzo toma como emplazamiento una mezquita del siglo X y se situaba junto a uno de los ejes viarios que atravesaban la ciudad de Este a Oeste. Erigida entre los siglos XIII y XIV, la iglesia aprovecha anteriores materiales constructivos y reúne las características propias de los templos fundados tras la conquista cristiana. Destaca el rosetón de tradición mudéjar y una esbelta torre renacentista que le sirvió a  Hernán Ruiz II como ensayo de la Giralda de Sevilla. También son interesantes, por su inusualidad en Andalucía, las pinturas murales de estilo italogótico que cubren algunas de las bóvedas del templo.

St Laurence's Parish Church occupies the site of a 10th century mosque and was situated on one of the main thoroughfares that traversed the city from East to West. The church, which was built between the 13th and the 16th century, was constructed from materials left over from the former building and follows the architectural style of churches built after the Christian reconquest. The most remarkable elements are the Mudejar rose window and a slim Renaissance tower which served Hernán Ruiz II as a trial construction in preparation for the building of the famous Seville Giralda. It is worth noting the Gothic-Italian wall paintings covering some of the vaults of the church, which are unusual in Andalusia.

A unos trescientos metros se levanta la Iglesia del Juramento de S. Rafael sobre el lugar donde la tradición señala que el arcángel se apareció al Padre Roelas jurándole custodiar la ciudad de Córdoba. Erigido en el año 1806 con donativos de fieles, el templo combina un espacio longitudinal y circular y presenta la última fachada de estilo neoclásico construida en la ciudad.

At a distance of some 300 metres, The Church of the Oath of St Raphael stands on a site that tradition tells us was where the archangel appeared to Father Roelas granting him the title of custodian of the city. The church was built in 1806 from contributions donated by the congregation. The church combines a longitudinal with a spherical space and displays the last  Neoclassical facade built in Cordova.

El Hospital de Jesús Nazareno es otra de las fundaciones religiosas asentadas en el barrio desde la Baja Edad Media y regentado por la Congregación de las Hermanas hospitalarias a partir del siglo XVII. A pesar de que la Iglesia ha sufrido importantes reformas contemporáneas guarda interesantes pinturas de la escuela cordobesa y dos imágenes barrocas que procesionan en Semana Santa: Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno y María Santísima Nazarena.

Jesus of Nazareth Hospital is another of the religious buildings established in the quarter since the early Middle Ages and has been run by the Hospital Sisters Congregation since the 17th century. Although the church suffered contemporary restoration works, it still conserves notable paintings belonging to the Cordovan school and two Baroque sculptures that are paraded through the streets during the Easter Week processions: Our Father Jesus of Nazareth and The Holy Mary of Nazareth.

Junto a la antigua Puerta de Plasencia y en la Plaza del Corazón de María se encuentra la Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Gracia, construida en el año 1686 sobre una antigua ermita y un convento de la orden trinitaria. Interesa la fachada y la capilla de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno Rescatado, imagen barroca que goza de gran devoción popular.

Close to the old Plasencia Gate and in "Mary's Heart Square" (Plaza del Corazón de María) stands Our Lady of Grace Parish Church, built in 1686 on an ancient chapel and a convent belonging to the Order of the Trinity. The church displays an excellent facade and the interesting chapel of Our Father Jesus of Nazareth Rescued, one of the most revered Baroque images in the city.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2016 English Spanish Link
All rights reserved