Página principal...
Índice de cartas y emails...

Textos en inglés: historia 3.

Tema: descripción histórica para un "mupi" de una ciudad andaluza 4.

 

MAGDALENE QUARTER

BARRIO DE LA MAGDALENA

·       Magdalene's Church

·       Iglesia de la Magdalena

·       Andujar Ringroad City Wall Remains

·       Restos de Muralla en Ronda de Andújar

·       St Joseph's Hermitage

·       Ermita de S. José

·       Muñices Palace

·       Palacio de los Muñices

·       Ancient Convent of the Virgin Carmen

·       Antiguo Convento del Carmen

Magdalene quarter is situated in the very western part of the historic city centre (Ajerquia) and close to a section of the restored city wall bordering the Andujar Ringroad. The quarter was first inhabited during the final years of the Muslim period, proof of this has been the discovery of remains of 12th century houses in the area.

El Barrio de la Magdalena se sitúa en el levante del casco histórico oriental (Ajerquía) y muy cercano al recinto amurallado del que se mantiene un tramo muy restaurado en la Ronda de Andújar. Su carácter residencial arranca en los últimos años de dominio musulmán tras haberse constatado restos de viviendas del siglo XII.

After its founding by King Ferdinand III in 1236, the quarter began to spring up around Magdalene's Parish Church. The church shows typical elements of Cordovan Christian architecture from the early Middle Ages and boasts some very original Muslim ornamental features on three facades.

Tras ser fundado por el rey Fernando III en el año 1236, el devenir del barrio giró en torno a la parroquia de la Magdalena que presenta elementos característicos de la arquitectura cristiana cordobesa durante la Baja Edad Media. Su originalidad radica en las tres portadas cuyos motivos ornamentales tienen impronta musulmana.

Although the church was closed to worship in 1956 when it suffered a devastating fire, it was restored and since then has been used as an exhibitions and concert centre. St Joseph's Hermitage dates back to the 15th century and is situated opposite the north facade of Magdelene's Parish Church. During the 16th century, the hermitage was used as a charity hospital for abandoned children.  

A pesar de que la iglesia se cerró al culto en el año 1956 y sufrió un gran incendio, fue restaurada para transformarse en espacio de exposiciones y conciertos. Del siglo XIV data la Ermita de S. José  que ubicada frente a la fachada Norte de la parroquia, pasó a convertirse durante la centuria del quinientos en hospital de niños perdidos.

Nearby, visitors will find the Muñices Palace, today in use as a school. The building is an excellent example of local Baroque architecture. Its facade and ample balcony are comparable to the typical palaces of the grandees of Ecija (Seville).

Muy cerca encontramos El Palacio de los Muñices, hoy centro de enseñanza, e interesante ejemplo de la arquitectura barroca local del que llama la atención su fachada y un gran balcón corrido que evoca las casas señoriales ecijanas.

Finally, outside the city walls of this quarter, stands Our Lady of Carmen Parish Church, founded by the Order of the Calzada. In the 18th century this was one of the most important convents in the city. A number of its rooms have now been taken over by the present day Law Faculty, which includes a church that houses the Elias altarpiece, a work by the famous Spanish Golden Age painter, Valdes Leal.

Por último y a extramuros del barrio se encuentra la Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, fundación de la orden calzada que llegó a ser en el siglo XVIII uno de los conventos más importantes de la ciudad. Parte de sus dependencias se integran en la actual Facultad de Derecho a la que se anexiona la Iglesia albergando el  retablo de Elías, obra del conocido pintor del Siglo de Oro español, Valdés Leal.   

 

Copyright © 2016 English Spanish Link
Todos los derechos reservados